A few thoughts on a Monday evening
- It's a testament to The --er, A Daily Show that it's still quite watchable even during The Writers Strike. That being said, there are at least a couple of times each show that it's not acutely obvious that Stewart is essentially riding solo. Good, but it will be nice when the full writer staff returns.
- I flew coast-to-coast last week, with a stop in Denver going each way. In those four flights, all of them arrived early or on time. Literally, every aspect of the logistics of the trip went about as smoothly as imaginably possible. I can't quite get over this.
- Lost starts up again this week. I...am so very excited.
- With the obvious exception of New Hampshire, everything is pretty much going Barack Obama's way this primary season. And yet, due to the fact that almost half the country is voting a week from tomorrow, it's impossible to know whether he or Hilary Clinton will be the likely nominee. I do hope that - assuming he fares as poorly on Super Tuesday as he has to date - that John Edwards bows out and endorses someone (who I'd assume to be Obama). I like the guy but it ain't happening. Rumors are that Edwards would become the Attorney General under an Obama presidency. It's interesting, and I'd be curious as to what that would mean as it played out -- but I think that might genuinely freak out the National Review Republican, and that'd would be sort of fun to watch.
- Owning a home is amazing, and we're slowly but surely settling in. But it's a little too easy to spend money these days. I went out to pick up...well, I don't even remember now. But I didn't go in there to buy the six dining room chairs that we ended up stuffing into the back of my truck. That was suprising. Even more so that it was my idea to buy them.
- I can't really believe the Super Bowl is this weekend and that somehow the New York Giants are the best team in the NFC. If they were more fun to watch, I'd be rooting a little for them, but I can't and pretty much dislike the Giants since Leonard Marshall broke Joe Montana.
- So, the NFC sucks, and I root for the Forty Niners, who are, let's face it...near the bottom of that sorry conference. In baseball, I'm a National League guy, rooting for the San Francisco Giants. Who, by all rights...will be one of the worst teams in that league, which is clearly inferior to the American League. So, my two favorite sports teams are among the worst in all of their sport. Good times!
- On the other hand...apparently, Chris Webber is coming back to the Warriors? That's sort of funny, and odd, but as someone who hasn't followed basketball in awhile...reuniting a player and coach whose fractured relationship essentially ruined the franchise for 13 years (a bit of a stretch, but not much), when said player is a shell of his former self and the chemistry on the existing team is quite good...well, that doesn't seem too smart. But what do I know?
- Yardwork is oddly satisfying, but trying to pull out four small trees from a planter box that blocks our view of our smallish backyard with no more than garden shears is pretty tiring. And way too big to toss into the yard waste bin. So, this weekend, we're bringing in a chainsaw. Good times.