Man, take a week off and it's hard to jump back into the blogging, but blog I must. Here then, are a random assortment of things I thought of during the last week or so, all of which I thought, “Hm…that seems like something worth writing about.”
A few to start out with, and more after the fold.
- The weekend games, especially Saturday’s, were some of the best football I’ve seen in awhile. And though anything could happen this weekend, the Packers-Patriots Super Bowl that seems to be shaping up might be the ultimate matchup most folks are craving. Think of it – if you could choose a Super Bowl that did NOT feature your favorite team, wouldn’t this be the one you’d want? Sure, the Cowboys might be more talented (though that’s far from certain), but they are the EVIL Cowboys. Most people don’t have anything rational against the Pack, and the hate on the Patriots (aside from the, cough, cheating) seems to be that they are too damn good. Watching a Super Bowl that determines how high on the Quarterbacks Mt. Rushmore Brett Favre or Tom Brady is placed, let alone a 19-0 season, would be fun.
- Which means it will be the Giants-Chargers in the ultimate snore fest.
- Speaking of bad matchups, does the concept of Romney vs. Clinton sicken YOU as much as it does me?
- The Adam Carolla Show – no longer available on my actual goddamn radio – had a feature of about under and over-rated movies. The Aceman himself stated that Superbad is over-rated. No…that’s just wrong. McLovin…McLovin…McLovin. (But he did accurately say the same thing about Napoleon Dynamite which just flat out isn’t that good.
- Speaking of that radio program, I listen to it online now and I can honestly say I haven’t missed Danny Bonaduce a whit. If I’m curious about how often he has sex with his 25 year old girlfriend, or what he’s doing with his condo, or lots of references to his prior drug use or …wow, that’s even making me tired thinking about it. I was going to say that if I miss that, I can listen to his ONE HOUR show he rides solo on, but I think if I miss that, I need to check myself into rehab.
- Played craps for about two hours in Reno this weekend and I must say, it was insanely fun. One of the few times I’ve realized I could have wasted a whole evening gambling that didn’t involve poker with my friends.
- You may think that the whole race hubbub with Obama and Clinton is overblown, and certainly the beating that Tim Russert is getting is well-deserved…but if you also think that Clinton herself had nothing to do with folks bringing up race, you’re crazy. And frankly, I’m happy that – in general – Obama consistently takes the high road. That may not get him elected, but this does seem like one election where the old school of politics might not work. (And if you like Clinton, realize that this tactic is straight out of Karl Rove’s playbook. Happy?)
- Speaking of Tim Russert, Matthew Yglesias wrote a fantastic article beating him down that is well worth your read.
Actually, the balls Russert favors may be hard, but the pitches he throws aren't curveballs, which go someplace useful. They're sillyballs, which go somewhere pointless. Russert has created a strike zone of his own where toughness meets irrelevance.
- The Writers Strike is now pissing me off. Though I must say, we’re about to start Season 4 of The Wire, so there’s an upside to everything.
- And yes, , that includes Scrubs, which isn't even that good anymore. (But I do like Sarah Chalke...)
- Owning a home is expensive. I had a plumber come by last week to inspect a squeaky toilet he had installed – turns out our water pressure is dangerously high, and in order to fix that, we need a new pipe going to the street. I have several friends who have told me that when it comes to your house, “Everything is $1000.00.” Well, guess how much the plumber estimated this work at?
- I almost created a Douchenozzle of the Week for this, but in the interest of expediency, let me just say this – AT&T blows ass. When we recently moved, I called to change my number to my new address, etc. Apparently, even though I told them I was moving, I didn’t specify that I wanted the old number cancelled. Which means we paid for almost a full month of service we didn’t use. AT&T can’t seem to see anything wrong with this scenario, which means – yep, they’re a big bunch of douche nozzles.
- At this point, the Britney saga is truly sad. Can we lock her up? At least her kids are away from her now.
- No, I’m still not watching American Idol. I’m just sort of sad that my prediction that Paula Abdul would go crazy, land in rehab and be banned from the show turns out to be false.
- Rudy Giuliani – exactly what are you still doing in the race?
- Can I be the first to make the joke that the new head of the Dolphins is James Gandolfini? (His name is Tony Sparano, which is pretty easily confused with the epic mob boss, yes? (Answer – nope. Not even close.)